HISTORY OF ZETA PHI BETA SORORITY, INCORPERATED
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., a community conscious, action oriented organization, was founded on January 16, 1920 at Howard University in Washington D.C. Known as our Five Pearls, our founding members were Arizona Cleaver, Myrtle Tyler, Viola Tyler, Fannie Pettie, and Pearl Neal.
It was the ideal of the Founders that the Sorority would reach college women in all parts of the country who were sorority minded and desired to follow the founding principles of the organization; Scholarship, Service, Sisterly Love and Finer Womanhood. These ideals are reflected in the sorority’s national programs for which its members and auxiliary groups provide untotaled hours of voluntary services to staff community outreach programs, fund scholarships, support organized charities and promote legislation for social and civic change.
Since its inception, the sorority has chronicled a number of “firsts” among the established black sororities. In addition to being the ONLY organization constitutionally bound to a brother fraternity (Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.), the sorority was the first to charter international chapters, those in West Africa and Germany and to form adult and youth auxiliary groups; the Amicae, Archonettes, Amicettes, and Pearlettes.
For more information about Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., please visit the International Web Site.